- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 cups Half & Half
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 Tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 4oz cream cheese, diced into cubes
- 8oz colby jack cheese, freshly grated
- 4oz sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
Prep all of the ingredients and have them ready to go.
Melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
Add jalapeño, onion, and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until soft.
Whisk in Half & Half and chili powder. Bring to a simmer.
Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and water and mix together until smooth. Pour into simmering mixture and whisk together.
Add mustard and cream cheese. Whisk together.
Turn heat down to medium low and slowly whisk in the colby jack and sharp cheddar cheeses until smooth.
Serve warm immediately or keep warm in a small slow cooker.
This recipe can be easily customized. Some recommended additions are- diced tomatoes, diced green chilies, cayenne pepper, and chopped cilantro. You can also use different kinds of cheeses like smoked cheddar or American. If you like a thinner sauce, you can add in a few extra tablespoons of Half and Half to get the consistency that you want.