- 1 - 1.5 lb italian sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 cups fresh green beans, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 3 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can great northern beans OR pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons beef base
- 2 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups small pasta (like macaroni, ditalini, orecchiette ,etc.)
Brown and crumble sausage in a large pot over medium-high heat.
When meat is half-way cooked through, add diced onions. Continue to stir and cook until meat is mostly cooked through.
Add garlic and continue cooking and stirring 1-2 minutes, or until meat is completely cooked through.
Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT for pasta. Stir together. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
Return soup to a boil over medium-high heat, add pasta and boil for 10-15 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.