I love puff pastry! This Herb and Cheese Snowflake looks super impressive but it is SO easy to make!
Herb and Cheese Puff Pastry Snowflake
- 1 box puff pastry (2 sheets)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened (not melted)
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg
- grated parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley, chopped for garnish (optional)
1. Remove puff pastry sheets from packaging and let thaw for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. In a bowl, combine softened butter, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and onion salt.
4. Set aside 2 Tablespoons of the herb butter.
5. When puff pastry sheets have thawed, get a bowl that is 10 inches wide across. Roll out one of the puff pastry sheets until it is just barely bigger than the the top rim of the bowl. Lay the top of the bowl over the puff pastry. Use a knife to cut around the rim of the bowl to cut out a 10 inch circle. Repeat with remaining puff pastry sheet.
6. Place one of the circles on a piece of parchment paper. Spread the herb butter over the middle of the circle, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge, and being really careful not to push the pastry so that it loses it's shape.
7. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella over the entire top of the circle.
8. Lay the other puff pastry circle over the top.
9. Leaving a 1-inch circle in the middle un-cut, carefully cut the circle into 16 wedges by cutting it into quarters, and then cut each quarter into quarters. (See image above).
10. Take two wedges that are side by side, twist them outward two times, and then pinch the ends together. (Put your finger on the very top of the wedge and hold it down while twisting if needed to make sure the thick part of the wedge twists and not just the very top).
11. Repeat with all of the wedges until you have 8 points.
12. In a small bowl, beat egg together. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the egg over all of the puff pastry.
13. Lift the snowflake on the parchment paper onto a cookie sheet. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until golden.
14. Remove from oven and immediately brush reserved herb butter over the entire snowflake.
15. Sprinkle with grated parmesan. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
16. Serve immediately.